Monday, February 11, 2008

Highlights from devotional time

After many nights of reading and re-reading, I have finished my study through the book of John. Some recent highlights include:

John 19:26-27
When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own [home].

In previous studies of this passage, I noticed Mary's devotion to Jesus. She followed Him all the way to the cross. I noticed how John was there to.

However, what struck me this last time is how Jesus saw to it that Mary was taken care of. Mary played her role in God's plan. She reared Jesus. She taught Him, cared for Him and then followed Him.

But when the plan was finished, Jesus did not forget Mary. He saw to it that her needs were met.

1 Peter 2:21 says that "Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps."

While that example entailed bearing His cross and suffering for us, it also included loving us. That was what drove Christ to the cross in the first place, He loved us.

Let us not get so involved in the mission that we forget to love each other. Let's follow Christ's example of love.

I once asked the church at Denson Springs, "How many of us are expendable for the greater good of the church?" My point was, would there be any member that we would be willing to run off if we thought it would help our church grow? The answer was that none of us were expendible. If we were willing to run off one, so that more would come, then we did not love that one. (I'm not talking church discipline, I'm talking personality issues). We should love each other, disciple each other and learn from each other. We did and the church grew.

Love for each other is important. It's the first point of our doctrinal statement. It's essential for our testimony. The Great Commission is what God wants us to do... but He expects us to do it together as we love each other.

Noah Lee has an excellent post on this topic entitled People are not things.

Then, there's John 21:15
Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, [son] of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?

This passage begins with Peter leaving Jerusalem to go fishing. Going fishing for Peter was not a weekend vacation... it was a return to the old way of life, life before Jesus. Going fishing for Peter represented his abandonment of Christ calling and the return to a "normal life."

What happened? Jesus showed up, led the disciples (who followed Peter's apostasy) to catch a multitude of fish, cooked breakfast and confronted Peter.

When Jesus asked Peter, "Do you love me more than these?" He was not asking if Peter loved Him more than the other disciples. He was asking Peter if he loved Him more than the fish!

It would be easy for me to say I love Jesus more than fish, because fish have never represented my livelihood. However, there was a time that it was a tight race between Jesus and my radio career. I also must confess that it was tough to decide to leave behind Rusk, Texas and Denson Springs MBC to go to the mission field in Brownwood, TX. It seemed that just as I was planting roots here, God called me away. But, who do I love more? Rusk, Texas and Denson Springs? or God?

Does your career, home, hometown, lifestyle, or anything else prevent you from following God the way you know you should? If so, jump out of the boat and swim to shore. If you love Christ, you'll follow His commandments. If you love Him, you'll do what He's called you to do. (John 14:15)

Then, I began a study in Mark. I did so a day after learning that a preacher that I have little respect for has been asked to preach at a major event. "What were the powers that be thinking?" I wondered. (I know I sound unspiritual here, but there's a history that I am not telling you.)

Then, I come across Mark 2:16-17.
And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard [it], he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.


Wow! I sure sounded like a Pharisee in that last paragraph! The truth is, I was judging that other preacher, the way the Pharisees judged the sinners and publicans. And maybe the powers that be were reaching out to this preacher in order to draw more into our associated work.

And maybe, we need to come down from our lofty minds and get in the trenches with day-to-day people who are fighting life's day-to-day battles.

And maybe I need to check my heart and examine my motivations again.

So, those are the highlights of my devotional life this past week. Love people, Love Christ more, and reach out to others.

Some of my thoughts are disjointed tonight, I know. However, when I read the scriptures, God deals with me on a level that only I can understand, because only we understand the innerworkings of my heart.

No comments: