Friday, December 21, 2007

Generation: Lost

The thing that strikes me the most about the Jamie Spears pregnancy (at the age of 16), or the continued decadence on the part of her sister (Brittney) or the Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton and Nicole Richey scandals is not so much the fact that these girls and women are influencing our younger generation, but that they are reflective of the culture of our younger generation.

Kids in our neighborhoods, cities, towns, and even in the shadows of the steeples of our ABA churches are actively engaged in the behavior that the afore mentioned divas are involved in. I know... I saw it in high school and college, heard the talk around the establishment I worked in during seminary, and have seen kids I tried to minister too fall by the wayside. This stuff has been going on, rampantly, since I was in school.

My question is, what can we do to curb the current trends? I know that parents should step up and be parents, but in many situations, this just is not going to happen. We need to step in and minister to the youth. This can be done by...

- going bivocational and becoming school teachers.
- Becoming substitute teachers/teachers' aides.
- coaching youth sports.
- ehhhh I'm out of ideas. Please help.

The main thing is that we need to quit relying on Wed. Night pizza to get the job done. It's more than "evangelical opportunities." This is a dire situation in our own front yards that needs to be attended to.

Please pray for the youth of our nation.

No comments: