Monday, January 30, 2012

Daily Devotional Time: Philippians 4

My daily time with God, today, involved a 1-mile prayer walk at Riverside Park, and reading Philippians 4, where three verses caught my attention...

Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

I have worked myself silly, and worried myself sick making sure that I was able to provide a certain lifestyle for my family. Through the course of things, problems arise, bills come in, bank balances run low, and things break. When those things happen, it can be easy to become disgruntled, stressed out, and wonder why things always happen to us. (To quote Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh, "Oh why does it always have to be me?!!!")

When problems arise, it's important to look at the big picture. In Matthew 6, The Lord made two promises, (1) to feed me and (2) to clothe me. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Not only has God kept His promises of feeding me, and clothing me, but He has also thrown in a good variety of food, a nice home, and a beautiful family to boot. Did I mention that God has blessed me with an awesome way to make a living... serving as the missionary pastor of Grace Pointe Missionary Baptist Church, and as news director for KOXE 101.3 in Brownwood, Texas. On my worst day, I should be praising God for the blessings in my life. Whatsoever state I am in, therewith I should be content.

What if the bottom falls out? What if I lose one of my jobs, can no longer pay my mortgage, lose my home and struggle financially? This passage tells me that God has given me the power to endure hard times, and I should praise Him anyway.

Paul said in verse 12 that he is instructed to abound and to be abased. To both be full and to be hungry. The lesson I took from this today is that God wants us to be thankful for what He has done for us. In all things, we are to be full, or content. However, at the same time, we are to be hungry... that is, we are to be motivated to continue to work for the Lord. We work when we are hungry, and we shape up when we want God's favor. These verses tell me that we should stay in that state of mind, ready to work and serve the Lord. Though God has made us full, we should continue to work as if we are hungry.

Then verse 13 concludes the thought... that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. This verse, taken in context, means that we can endure all things. We can enjoy the good times, endure the bad times, and stick it through until the end.

God is great, all the time, and He has blessed us beyond all measure. Let's continue to praise Him and serve Him as He provides opportunity.

No comments: