Thursday, August 20, 2009

How-To Thursday: Keeping it Real

As a radio ad executive, I have to be completely sold on the value of my station if I'm going to be effective at selling radio campaigns. I also have to be creative... but I definitely have to be sold on my station's value.

In the same way, if I am going to be a successful evangelist, I must be completely sold out for the Gospel. I have to be totally convinced that it is true, that Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures. If the Gospel is not real to me, or if I fail to see how it has totally changed and revolutionized my life, I'll be unable to present it with any passion and will have a hard time convincing people to believe it.

The problem that the unchurched have with church is not the hymns, the preaching, the "early" Sunday morning service at 11 a.m., the clothing, the "Baptist" on the sign, or even the moral lifestyle. The problem the unchurched have with church is that they perceive it is full of fake people, and the programs, presentation and dynamic services merely mask the fact that they are "experiencing" a fake celebration. They perceive church as fake.

To a degree, this can't be controlled. Church members will fall, people will sin publicly, others will intentionally inflict harm on others' feelings and people will get turned off. However, as a church planter or missionary, you can control whether you are fake, or whether you are real.

What's your motivation for being on the field. Are you there to build a big, strong vibrant church with awesome praise and worship services with a dynamic youth program? Do you dream of a tech-savvy church that utilizes all the latest trends in evangelism and church planting? Do you want to be on the cutting edge of societal evolution? Do you want to show the rest of the association how it's done?

If so, you are in danger of being fake. I have never seen a praise chorus, powerpoint screen, or wind ensemble lead a single soul to Christ. (Conversely, I've never seen a Heavenly Highway Hymnal lead anyone to Christ either.) If you have gone to the field to start another "next biggest thing" organization (commonly referred to as a church), then you are just adding another problem to a field that is likely already littered with "church-growth-driven" casualties.

People need what's real, and what's real is the Gospel. If the fact that Christ paid for your sins on the cross has really changed your life, if you were truly transformed by your salvation experience, then let that be what drives you. Use your passion for Christ to do evangelism. The church that grows out of that will be the church that your mission field needed most.

Don't be program-driven. Be Gospel-driven. Be real, then keep it real. Peace out!

Hebrews 10:23 - Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

No comments: