Friday, February 27, 2009

Community

I'm starting a new series on Community this week at Grace Pointe. The aim will be to teach the group what they have in common and why it is important to be an active member in the church. The goal is to lead us to the point that we'll be prepared to do outreach emphasis in April, plus bring us one more step toward organization.

There are some misconceptions about organization. I know about these misconceptions because I once had them. The basis for organizing a church is not on whether it can support itself financially, or on how many people attend on Sunday morning. The basis for organizing a church should be whether the membership understands the concept of their covenanted relationship, plus the doctrinal stability of the group. Granted, I think a church should be able to support themselves, or at least, come close to it, before organization... but I don't think having the building note paid off should be the goal before organization. Furthermore, I don't think all support should cease at organization.

Just my thoughts. What are yours?

2 comments:

Big J said...

The clear precedent in the Scripture is Churches helping Churches.

It isn't my contention to debate this with anyone but financial support definitely shouldn't cease because of organization if it is needed.

A mindset that needs to be changed is being able to pay the bills at organization time.

A group that splits due to argument for example, may be able to pay the bills but strong leadership is needed to take care of the spiritual issues of covenant relationship that must be strengthened.

Anonymous said...

Preach on Preacha!!! You know my thoughts, so I'll keep them to myself. A brother don't wanna get lynched you know!

Forget it, let the mob come! I can't wait to see what God is goind to do with our new generation of Church planters. we have hindered our own work long enough with our crazy ideas that a church has to be "self-supporting" before it could organize. The church formed on the shores of Galilee couldn't even have a decent fellowship(2-fish, 5-loaves).