Sunday, December 14, 2008

Spin-Off Churches


I'm normally not one to purchase books, but I saw this one at Family Christian Bookstore in Abilene. I picked it up, skimmed through it and liked what I saw.

Spin-Off Churches chronicles what pastors, denominational leaders and church planters are saying about mission work. It also discusses indigenous church planting and mission work in adverse environments, like crime-ridden intercity areas. It discusses the phenomenon of multi-site church plants and "Set-Free Churches."

More than just a "check out the new trends" and a "how-to" church planting manual, this book seeks to motivate churches to become sending churches. It is put out by the North American Missions Board, the same board that brought you Church Planting Village. The North American Missions Board is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention.

I'll be posting reviews on this book in the days ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one of the authors, I really hope and pray the book is benificial. I look forward to your report!

Rod

Leland Acker said...

Rod, thanks for stopping by and your comment. My "official" book review will take a while to develop (I still have to finish reading it), but I really liked the way you approached the first section, encouraging churches and pastors that church planting is necessary to obey the Great Commission.

Furthermore, while I am currently involving multi-housing ministry in my approach in Brownwood, TX, I loved the concept of the Set-Free Church. (Your book is the first I've heard of it). While the Set-Free model probably is not feasible in Brownwood, I would like to see these efforts grow, and would like to be supportive of them in the future.