Friday, December 19, 2008

Getting back on track

I did some praying and Bible study, as well as some reading in "Spin-Off Churches," and I feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things. Emotional and spiritual ups and downs are something I have experienced since being saved in November 2002, but it seems like my emotional and spiritual roller coaster has been more erratic since moving to Brownwood, and I am not sure why. My spiritual highs are higher, as are my emotional highs, but the lows are lower, and sometimes (especially during stressful times) we move from the highs to the lows back to the highs rather quickly.

I have identified some spiritual issues I am struggling with. These issues are:

  • The lust of the flesh - I am struggling with a mild case of gluttony. I know which foods I should be eating, but still I gravitate toward hamburgers, junk food, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, and soda. Not only that, but I often overdo it. Gluttony is no less a sin than is pride, and has a devastating effect on one's body. If I am going to have a long, successful ministry, I have got to get this in check quickly.
  • The pride of life - Ever since I was in high school, I wanted to be the best at whatever I did. From being the best on the debate team, to being the best at shooting the bull, to being the best at scoring concert tickets, etc, I wanted to be the best. (Oddly enough, this pride never translated to a desire for academic achievement). At work, I find myself wanting to outperform the staff in Brownwood (even though they have three-times the radio stations and four times the population). To do such would require me to work long hours, which would adversely affect the mission. As far as the mission goes, I often find that my motivation is wrong. God did call me out here, and I am doing His will, but too often I find myself thinking about the monthly reports and what we could do that would look good there. On both of these fronts, I have to get myself back in line, because pride comes before the fall. If my motivation in mission is the monthly report, eventually I will stumble. I'll either fall into heretical practice, or I'll be disobedient to God, choosing to please man rather than God. As for work, I have often seen those who want to be #1 fall flat on their faces.

If we look within ourselves, we will find sin. (If we say we have no sin, then we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us). Still, this sin needs to be dealt with, because if we choose to write it off as "everyone has sin," then our sin will eventually surface and cause us great harm.

God bless you, wherever you are, and in all your struggles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't focus so much on career, making a ministry work, etc. Just focus on stressing how to love one another in Christ. Love is not an abstract idea. Rather it is actions and deeds we do toward one another to show the love of Jesus to each other. We can do a lot of talking, debate scripture, disciple others. But if we do not show love in a practical way, we have failed. On the last day they will say, When did we give a cup of water in your name etc., Jesus will say when you did it to the least of these. This was the best Christmas for me ever. Because two families showed me love in a practical way. One family brought me a $55 smoked and aged 17 pound ham so I'd have a nice Christmas feast. Another family invited me to their home for a gift, food, and celebration. I'd say they showed me Christ's love in a practical way. It was done by actions, not just "I'll pray for you." Praying is good but if we ignore our fellow man's needs including needs of the heart, we have sinned the sin of omission. Jesus said love God with your whole heart and your neighbor as yourself. If there is love in a church, shown in deed and compassion, it will grow.

Leland Acker said...

You make a good point. While Jessica and I have done some of what you discussed, I should do a lot more in showing Christ's love.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

That's great! Now, do it more consistantly and teach others how to be that way. If God is love, and He loved us so much as to die for us, then what do we do to show love? It doesn't have to cost money. Perhaps invite another family to the park for a picnic or any simple thing. Back in the 1950's great revival era, hell was preached a lot. The gospel wasn't spread to every corner then. Many were "scared" into heaven. It was a tactic. Now even in Thailand today, the Jehova Witnesses and Mormons have already been around to everyone. So now when any other type of missionary shows up, they are skeptical. If you do something for nothing they want to know why. Then they can be told that Jesus is a God (and the only God) of love, that they no longer have to kill a chicken that they can't afford to spare to give to Buddah for their sins. So I guess my question is this, what makes your doctrine spewing a drawing card any better than the next doctrine spewing church. Especially when they all think they are the only ones that are right. They can't all be right. Besides why should I follow a God that doesn't care about me. His people don't. They just want me to "join". (Just playing the devils advocate here. I already go to a church). Evangelizing soil is very hard now days. Sometimes it is due to the blindness of the lost's sin and sometimes it is hard because some have been damaged by other church groups. Also what is the purpose of your blog here? Is it to get people into the kingdom of God or is it just a place where your organization can see what you have been doing without calling or checking. If the latter, then your blog works for that. If it is to lead others to Christ, then there isn't much on here to effectively do that. When I am dry with Christ and seeking a new direction, I don't google "ABA", "door knockers" or any other words on your blog. I google "Where is Jesus when I need Him?", "How come God doesn't answer prayer", "How to know Jesus is real". 10 million answers pop up on the net,some garbage,some great.

Leland Acker said...

This blog's purpose is to give the churches that support this ministry a semi-weekly insight as to what is happening on the field. I have a separate blog for the new church, www.gracepointembc.blogspot.com

Thank you for your input.