Thursday, December 20, 2007

Strange evening

I got home last night at about 6:05 to find a strange noise filling the air. Yep. It was as bad as I thought. My wife, in her efforts to clean out our closets, found some audio cassette tapes I thought I had destroyed. The tape in the radio was from my days at KJ 103 in Nacogdoches. She said she also found some of my college radio tapes. I ordered her to destroy the tapes, an order she refused.

"Something might happen to you and I will want these tapes to remind me of how much God has changed you," she said. I, for one, am glad that I barely remember those days. I was just plain stupid in college. My KJ 103 days were marked by portraying quirky characters on the morning show, bad publicity stunts, and my personal life was marred by bad decisions. However, my on-air work was pretty decent. I must confess listening to that old tape brought out some good memories as well, such as when Jessica and I met, when we had our first dates, how she tuned every radio in the house to KJ 103 and blared them loudly because I was on the air, etc. My bad choices led me to resign the station at the end of July 1999. I went to work for a pharmaceutical manufacturing company in Jacksonville before re-entering radio at KCKL in Malakoff, then on to KWRD-AM in Henderson, KYYK in Palestine and now KWRW-FM in Rusk, where I crossed over and went into print journalism at our sister newspaper, the Cherokeean Herald. I was saved while working at KYYK, and surrendered to the ministry while at KWRW-FM. Anyway... back to my evening.

The boys went to bed early, so Jessica stayed home and I took Rachel to church. Rachel got sick at church (probably from eating too many of Jessica's homemade french fries) and threw up all over the table in her classroom. That was fun to clean up.

I took Rachel home, she got cleaned up and we watched "Happy Feet." Jessica then chastised me for drinking all the milk (oops!) and sent me to town for some more plus a coke. She was working on her present for her granparents and mother.

I love my family... now, if only I could destroy those radio tapes.

No comments: