Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Santa-dolatry

I came home tonight after visiting with Bro. Swilling after church to have my wife inform me of the conversation that had taken place between my seven-year old daughter Rachel and my four-year old son Joshua.

It seems that Joshua told Rachel he believed in Santa Claus. Rachel, who accepted Jesus as her Savior earlier this year and was baptized in February, was deeply disturbed at Joshua's declaration. Rachel told Joshua that Santa wasn't real, that Jesus was, and Jesus was the reason we celebrate Christmas.

Her concern was that the belief in Santa and the practices associated thereof (placing cookies next to the tree, etc) hurt God. How amazing is it that a seven year old who has been saved less than a year is taking her faith so seriously. She is actually afraid of committing idolatry with Santa (She is part Jewish, you know).

My wife, Jessica, mediated the situation by explaning to Rachel that Santa is a fairy tale and it is okay to play Santa, but that Santa isn't real.

The position we have taken with Santa Claus is that we play Santa (We let them get their picture taken with Santa at the mall, etc,) but we have never presented Santa as a real being. We feel that if we teach the kids about Santa, presenting him as being real, then teach them about Jesus, Who is real, the kids will have faith issues once they find out Santa doesn't exist.

I asked Rachel tonight why she had such strong feelings about Santa. She told me on her sixth birthday, she got to thinking that Santa is just a bunch of guys in costumes, but God is really real. (Her birthday occurs during summertime, by the way).

I thank God for teaching Rachel via the Holy Spirit. I stand in amazement at how quickly she is growing.

No comments: