Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Humility of Christ

Last December, I wrote in my column in the Cherokeean that the birth of Christ was a monumental occasion. Think about it. The Shepherds were called in from the fields to worship Him, the wise men came from the East, and Herod was troubled and all Jerusalem with him. (I understand some will take issue with the timing of the arrival of the wise men, I will address my beliefs on that in a later blog.) So, I wrote that the agricultural industry came to a standstill, Eastern education had been temporarily suspended (the first Christmas break!!!!) and the Jerusalem political machine had been turned on its head. (I'm embellishing and paraphrasing what I wrote. I'd link the column, but we hadn't gone online yet.)

J. Oswald Sanders disagrees with me, as he wrote on pages 13-14 in the book, The Incomparable Christ
When we remember that it required four millenia for God to prepare the world for the advent of His Son, the stupendous importance He attached to that event emerges. The astounding fact is that with all its magnficent system of communications, "the great Roman world remained in absolute unconsciousness of the vicinity of God." The entrance of the Creator into the world seemed a matter so insignificant as to warrant no notice being taken of it.

True, the Roman Empire didn't even notice that Christ was born.

This is astounding. Even more astounding were the conditions Christ chose to be born in. Luke 2:7 says, "And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn."

How amazing it is that the Creator of the universe chose to be born in a stable. I watched a documentary which stated that the stable Christ was born in was likely located in a cave. This could not have been a sanitary environment. When I covered the Cherokee County Junior Livestock Show last March, I continually stepped in cow and horse patties despite my best efforts to watch where I stepped. The livestock show crew continually cleaned the area, but the volume of animals kept the expo center floor messy.

I have a hard time imagining the owners of the stable cleaning it out every hour on the hour. Can you imagine the smells, sounds and darkness of such an environment?

Christ, Who dwelt with the Father in Heaven, being adored by the angels and enjoying a close fellowship with God, left all of that to be born in the lowest of possible circumstances. Why? So that He could save us. If He was willing to stoop so low to reach us, is there any reason we should not humble ourselves in His service?

I Peter 2:21 says "For even hereunto were ye called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps."

Christ left us an example. That example was self sacrifice, love, patience and humility. How well do we follow that example? Is there anything that is beneath us?

Furthermore, do we appreciate the humble steps Christ took as He gave up all to save us? Or have we begun to take it all for granted?

No comments: