Sunday, April 9, 2017

And The Movie of the Year Goes to...


Few movies inspire me to reflect on my life, my faith, and my purpose. The ones that do are instantly numbered among my favorites. The Case for Christ, a movie based on the book by the same title authored by Lee Strobel, has just moved to the top of my favorites list.

Released this past Friday, The Case for Christ follows the story of Lee Strobel, an investigative reporter for the Chicago Tribune, a self-described atheist, whose world is turned upside down when his wife converts to Christianity (while visiting Willow Creek Community Church, of all places).

In an effort to undermine his wife's faith (so life would go back to normal), Strobel draws on his investigative reporting skills to debunk Christianity. His target? The resurrection. His investigation uncovers facts and evidence that forces him to the conclusion he most feared.

In addition to riveting drama, the movie provides tons of ammo for the up and coming apologist.

I am not writing a movie review, but if I were, I would tout the movies true to life set that captured life in the 1980s (right down to the pull tabs on the beer cans), the superb acting by Mike Vogel and Erika Christiansen, the suspense building around the next steps in his investigation, a side-plot involving a police shooting, and the health of Strobel's infant son. And once again, I find that my life is missing a 1980 Camaro Z-28.

Seeing a man struggle against the pull to accept Christ as his savior hit home for me. Just as Strobel rebelled against God through intellectualism and alcohol abuse, so I ran from God into the bottle on many occasions. Just as Strobel resented his wife's faith, so resented I my wife's faith until the Lord finally broke me.

In seeing how the Lord took Strobel on his journey to faith, I am reminded of how God brought me through the valley of darkness to the mountain of faith. I am reminded of how God transformed me. I am reminded of the hope that dwells within me, and the purpose God has given me.

Strobel eventually left a prominent role with the Chicago Tribune to become a pastor, and currently serves at a church in The Woodlands, Tex. God has truly transformed him.

God has taken me from being a half-drunk country radio DJ to being a voice for truth in the Brown County, Tex., area. God has truly transformed me.

In addition to the introspection sparked by The Case for Christ, the movie also reminded me why I believe what I believe. Christianity is not superstition, nor is it an illogical emotional cult. Christianity is deeply rooted in fact, evidence, logic, and the resulting faith. And, the movie reminds us that, while it does take faith to fill in the blanks of the Christian faith, it takes an equal, if not bigger dose of faith to subscribe to atheism.

The Case for Christ gives us solid facts regarding the truth of the Gospel, and reminds us of how God transforms the non-believer into a child of God. For that, the movie earns 5-stars and movie of the year honors in my opinion. Too bad I don't get to vote on the academy awards.

No comments: