Monday, June 16, 2014

I may never sit beneath the shade of the trees that I plant...

An ancient proverb says "A society grows great when old men plant trees under whose shade they know they'll never sit."

Indeed, the planting of a tree is an investment in time. It takes a pecan tree 10 years to produce pecans, 20 years to produce large pecans that could be commercially viable. It takes just as long for trees to mature to the age where one can legitimately sit beneath their shade, and cool off on a hot summer day to a glass of sweet iced tea.

I remember when I was a kid, my grandfather planted trees in his front yard, hoping for the day that he would be able to walk in his front yard in the cool of the breeze during the hottest days of summer. Though I was in junior high when he planted those trees (some 20 years ago,) I must report that those trees have yet to produce a suitable canopy for shade from the summer sun. Yet, my grandfather planted those trees, because he had faith and hope in the future.

It takes faith and hope to plant a tree. It takes faith that the tree will grow, and that God will provide the rain, and protect it from any disease that might kill it before it matures. It takes a hope, a confident expectation that one day, you or your descendants will sit beneath the shade of that tree. Planting trees requires a long view, the ability to see beyond today, or tomorrow, and see what can be in the distant future.

I makes sense for a 30-something to plant trees, for those trees will provide him shade when he retires. However, a 50-60 year old man has little to gain from planting trees. The only satisfaction he receives is the knowledge that he made life better for the generation that will follow him. When old men have that long of a view, a vision for a good, quality life for their descendants long after they are gone, then the society has taken on a new level of greatness.

Of course, if the proverb were merely about horticulture, it wouldn't carry much meaning for us today, now would it. The actual meaning of the proverb is that a society grows great when fathers and grandfathers build a legacy that will benefit their children and grandchildren, even if they know they'll never see it for themselves. The American dream isn't really about a new house, three car garage, a big screen TV, and vacation property. The American dream was originally about ascending the economic ladder, rising up out of poverty into the middle class, so that your children would have better opportunities than you. It was about rising from the middle class to the upper class, so that your children would never be threatened with want. All the afore mentioned things (homes, cars, etc) are just toys collected along the way.

With that in mind, I think about my own life. My family comes from humble beginnings. As far as social status, financial status, or political connections, I have no pedigree of which to boast. Yet, I have been blessed.

When I was in school, I dreamed of getting elected to Congress in my 20s, the Senate in my 30s, and making a run for President in my 40s. It's pretty safe to say, I'll never achieve those dreams, but that is okay. Those who are successful in politics usually have a family background that preps them for such achievements.

Today, my dream has been redefined. I no longer dream of achieving greatness, fame, power, or even riches. My dream today is to groom my children, and prepare them for the world that lay ahead, so that they may be able to successfully pursue their dreams, whatever they may be. My dream today is to plant trees. I may be able to rest in their shade someday, or I may not. Nevertheless, I know that my children and grandchildren will be able to rest in the shade of the trees that I plant today... so planting I will do.

Then, I'll trust God for the rain, and to keep the tree healthy so those dreams can be realized.

What about you? Are you planting any trees in your life?

4 comments:

friv 7 said...

The shade tree always takes a lot of time for the development of its canopy. What we can understand, and I understand your feelings when it comes to these things.

Anonymous said...

Great reminder, Leland. As a society, too many of us think only of what benefits our actions will bring to us. It isn't always easy to see the value in efforts that produce no benefit to us but then I think of our Savior on the cross -- the greatest sacrifice for us!

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for your post, So kind for you, I also hope you will make more and more excellent post and let’s more and more talk, thank you very much, dear. Friv 5000 Games is abbreviation for free flash games. Our friv games are 100% safe to play, thank you.
Friv 5000

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable.
Friv