Wednesday, March 20, 2013

He Began a Good Work

Our little red brick building on West Commerce may not
look like much, but God has done amazing things to bring
us this far, and He has far greater things in store
for our future
Everyday I wake up thinking the same thing... "We have to reach more people."

In 2007, God called me to uproot my family from East Texas, and move to the West Central Texas town of Brownwood to start a new church. I felt funny explaining my calling to potential employers and contacts in Brownwood, because anyone who has been there knows there is a Baptist church on just about every corner. Still, God compelled my wife and I to move to Brownwood and begin ministering to the community.

What we learned upon arriving in Brownwood is that, despite the best efforts of some of the best churches around, there are still lost people in Brownwood who need the Lord, who are receptive to His word.

From the moment we moved to town, God has guided every step. He led us to our first visitors (our neighbors). He led us to the first place we held worship services (Brownwood Apartments Phase II Community Room). He led us to our first members. He guided my secular employment in ways that have raised Grace Pointe's visibility in Brownwood. Every step of the way, God has been there.

So here we are, 4 1/2 years after arriving in Brownwood. I've gone from just a new resident, to news director for the #1 radio station in town (KOXE 101.3 FM), where I also get to host a Sunday morning program about Jesus. Furthermore, Grace Pointe has a solid group of core members. Our youth ministry is going strong, and there is a good spirit among the members.

The Brownwood Apts. Phase II community room,
Where it all started
Yet, everyday, I wake up concerned... I am concerned about the health of the church, and I am concerned that we are not reaching enough people. Then, the other day, while reading my Bible at Riverside Park, it hit me. I didn't wake up one morning in East Texas and decide to move to Brownwood to start a church. God called me to Brownwood, shortly after Sunday morning services at Denson Springs MBC in Slocum, Texas. Not only did He call me, he confirmed that calling through things that happened with some of our ministries there, and through conversations with church members. And just to let me know that Denson Springs would be okay after I resigned the pastorate there, God added many people to that church right after I left. Once in Brownwood, He took over, and made things happen.

God is in control of things, and He reminded me of that this week. He has great things in store for Grace Pointe, and He is bringing those things about right now. All we have to do is keep moving forward, trusting Him, and following His lead.

Philippians 1:6 - Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

1 comment:

URnaturalness01 said...

Hi. I just wanted to say that I just happened to your blog. And I could not stop reading it. I thought you were very honest and real and also inspiring. I will pray for you for I know that being a minister has to be a very trying commitment, but I pray God continues to bless you, your family and your ministry. Your blog is a blessing and God can reach people very different ways.

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You.