Thursday, February 2, 2012

Daily Devotion Time: Psalm 101:3

Psalm 101:3 is a powerful verse of scripture. It reads, "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

Most people focus in on the first part of the verse... "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes." Obviously, this teaches us that we should be careful what forms of entertainment we choose... what we watch on TV, what we listen to on the radio, and what we view on the Internet. To set a wicked thing before our eyes is to take pleasure in it... and God regards pleasure in sin as being just as sinful as the sin itself (Romans 1:32).

As a child of God, a Christian, a Believer, one who has been Born Again, who is indwelt with the Holy Spirit, and is a new Creature in Christ... all of which a person becomes at the point of repentance of sin and trust in Jesus as Savior... we have a new nature. Sure, we still struggle with sin, but our new nature is one that is in line with God, and not our flesh. Therefore, when we sin, or when we take pleasure in sin, we are convicted by the Holy Spirit. We can't be comfortable in sinful situations.

Therefore, we don't set wicked things before our eyes because they no longer give us pleasure. It may seem fun at first, but then comes the conviction and guilt. Psalm 101:3 says "I hate the work of them that turn aside." Sin upsets us, because we see the consequences of it, and we see the eternal ramifications of it. It upsets us that people would choose to go that direction.

But the most profound part of this verse is the last part, "It shall not cleave to me." So far, you may have read this post and thought, "but I am still tempted, I still sin, and though I feel guilty and turn to the Lord for forgiveness, I sin again." If you thought that, you have a Romans 7 issue. But the key phrase to Psalm 101:3 is that sin "won't cleave to me."

I stumble. I fall. But I don't stay down. I confess my sins before God, and 1 John says He is faithful and just to forgive my sins. Sin happens in my life, but sin is not my lifestyle. It can't be. It runs contrary to my new nature.

Do you live in a sinful lifestyle? Are you comfortable there? If the answer is yes to both questions, then you may not have the new nature. You may not be saved. Repent of your sin and trust Jesus Christ as your personal savior. If you are in a sinful lifestyle, but are uncomfortable, repent of the sin and turn to the Lord.

Sin and virtue can not co-exist. Unrepented sin is not part of living for God. Be not deceived. God is not mocked. Whatsoever a man sows, he reaps.

May God bless you as your continue your spiritual journey.

No comments: