Friday, May 27, 2011

Heart Like Mine - Secular Music Ponders Christ

Over the course of the past few months, Miranda Lambert's "Heart Like Mine" has rocketed up the country charts. It's a song that espouses Jesus' love for sinners, and the chorus proposes that Jesus would "understand a heart like mine."

Now I disagree with the premise that Jesus drank fermented wine, indulged in alcoholic beverages and engaged in behaviors that you would find in an East Texas pasture party. (They don't have pasture parties in West Texas, too big a fire hazard.) Still, this song touches the hearts of many people. Why?

Maybe it is because the song proclaims that Jesus loves sinners, and accepts sinners as they are. Maybe it touches that void that is left in a person when they don't know Christ. Maybe it gives the idea that a relationship with Christ can be a reality, despite a sinner's shortcomings. In that sense, I believe the song actually does a fairly decent job of explaining the personality of Jesus to lost people. Don't believe me? Let's look to the scriptures.

In Luke 15, Jesus has walked out of a Pharisee's meal, and sinners and publicans drew near to Him. The Pharisees criticized His association with sinners and publicans, but Jesus told them the parable of the lost sheep. Those lost sheep, the sinners and the publicans, were the ones he came to earth for.

1 Timothy 1:15 says "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." Jesus came to earth to save sinners. Why not? He loved sinners. Read the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). Jesus was always with sinners and publicans. Why? Because He loved them.

Bro. Jim Slocumb told me during a recent missions conference that Jesus loved the sinners and the publicans, but He didn't partake of their sin. In reading the New Testament, any reasonable person would conclude the same.

I know in my presentation of the Gospel, and of the personality of Jesus Christ, I often omit this very principle, the love of Christ for sinners. Shame on me. All too often my focus is on how wretched we are because of our sin, and how we must repent and turn to Christ. All too often I tell that part without telling about the love Jesus has for sinners. Maybe this is why I fail to lead people to Christ, because I fail to introduce people to Christ. All I do is tell them about an experience I think they should have. Ironically, a secular country music song presents Jesus' personality (aside from the drinking of wine) better than I do.

It's important to remember the love Jesus has for sinners, because we are all sinners (Romans 3:23). Seriously, what makes any of us think we are pleasing to God? Why do you think you deserve to go to Heaven and inherit eternal rewards? Is it because you were faithful to your church, didn't listen to this sinful Country music like Bro. Leland, didn't smoke or drink, wore suits, lived a separated lifestyle from the world, and never watched TV? Hey, good for you! But remember on your best day, your actions still fall way short of God's glory. All our righteousness is as filthy rags before Him.

So, with that in mind, where do we find our blessed assurance? In the knowledge that Jesus loves us, and died for our sins on the cross so that we could have eternal life with Him in Heaven. How awesome is that!

Jesus loves you! If you have never turned from your sin and trusted Him as Savior, let today be your day of salvation. He doesn't want to bring you into some sort of restricted legalistic lifestyle. He wants a friendship with you that will last for all of eternity. All you have to do is accept that friendship.

Trust Christ to save you, not because of what you can do for Him, but because He took the punishment for your sin. If you trust in Him, you are saved.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good post. I think we miss the point of Christianity when we present it as a way to shape ourselves up. It makes the Bible no better than a self-help book. But when we look at how much God loves us, how much Jesus loves us, and what he did to win us back, Christianity looks a lot more appealing.
And while we may agree to disagree, I think Jesus did drink a little wine, but I believe he could have been designated driver at those pasture parties.

Jonathan Melton said...

No offense meant to you brother, but any song talking about Jesus drinking wine is IMHO blasphemous!

Leland Acker said...

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


Ken, I agree that the message of Christ is about what He did for us. I believe if our message places burdens on people, we might be missing the point.

Jonathan, I don't believe the intent of the song to be blasphemous, nor do I expect a woman who has spent the last 11 years of her life singing in front of intoxicated people to write a theologically correct song.

My intent was only to highlight the way unchurched people (and music) are viewing Jesus Christ, and see if our presentation of the Gospel was relevant to their way of thinking.