Tuesday, November 23, 2010

90-Hour Weeks with Little Sleep? You're Doing It Wrong!

Have you ever had the Lord remind you of something so basic you know you shouldn't have needed the reminder? Recently, while studying my Bible, I came across Psalm 127, that says, "Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows, for so He giveth His beloved sleep."

We know that as children of God, and some of us ministers of God, that without Christ, we can do nothing. Unless the LORD prospers our efforts, our labors are in vain. Paul sowed, Appollos watered, but GOD gave the increase. One of the things that separates Christians from the world is that we know that God will provide our needs, and that if we rely on Him, we don't need to neglect our families so we can work around the clock for additional "security." We know that, right? Maybe. Maybe not.

I have found myself lately in a situation where my wife and I have had little time together. When we do get together, its for a half hour for lunch, or maybe a few minutes in the evening after the kids have gone to bed. The kids... when was the last time I hiked up Enchanted Rock with them? When I have been taking that time with them, many times my thoughts wandered back to what I "really" needed to be accomplishing.

Psalm 127 reminds us that God builds the church, provides our needs and gives us security. It is God who blesses our efforts. Therefore, as verse two says, "It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows, for so He giveth His beloved sleep."

Wake up at a decent hour (early ends at 6 a.m.), go to bed at a decent hour and be a good steward of the time in between (don't waste two or three hours on Facebook or YouTube). We need to get our ducks in a row on this because our lack of faith is having a devastating effect on the cause of Christ.

Recently, I lamented my schedule to Bro. Jim Slocumb, who told me that I better straighten it out because no Great Commission work is worth losing your wife. I'm noticing as I look across the fruited plain that more ministers seem to be getting divorced now than ever before. I am not judging those men, I don't know what happened. What I do know is that long periods of separation, isolation, or neglect that come with long work hours play a role in the divorce of an otherwise good marriage.

When I was in seminary, a professor told our class that he was counseling with several ministers who had affairs. He said the one common factor in all of their situations was fatigue.

Therefore, I am committing, and strongly urge you to commit, to being a good steward of time, and to relying on the LORD for our efforts to be prospered. Our families need us. May God bless you, and may God bless the churches of the Lord.

2 comments:

Roshteaux said...

Leland,

I HIGHLY recommend the book, Choosing To Cheat, by Andy Stanley. He deals with this very subject and even shares a little of how he approached his hours when beginning Northpoint community Church. It's not a big read, but it gives some great perspective.

JamesCharles said...

A few of our seminary professors touched on this issue in depth. The common consensus seemed to be "God first, family second, church third".

It was often repeated "If you lose your wife, you may very well have already lost your ministry" and "You are committed to be with her longer than you will be with any church".

Sound advice brother Leland, sound advice.



As to a good solution, I should still think I find multiple elders at every church mentioned in the Bible. Everytime we see pastor, bishop, or elder referring to a church or individual churches, the word is always plural. James tells a sick member to call for the elders of the church. The well established Jerusalem had elders after many years, and the many small churches established by Paul and Barnabas, on there return trip, received ordination of elders.

If we had elders in every church and mission, like is the Bible's example, we would have much less burden looming over our shoulders. It would allow much more family time. I think this could be one problem caused by not following that Bible example.

That being said, the way to convincing our brethren and churches to get back to this Bible principle eludes me.

Humbly and respectfully submitted - your Brother in Christ Jesus our LORD,

james