Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mission: Brownwood blog is back

Over the past several months, my blogging has slacked off due to a couple of reasons. (1) My first and foremost priority is to lead Grace Pointe to become a self supporting doctrinally sound Missionary Baptist Church. (2) The continued economic downturn wreaked havoc on ad sales at KSTA, thus forcing me to put in extra effort. My efforts were in vain, however. I have resigned KSTA and will be full time in the ministry for 2010. (3) A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something. I really haven't had much to say outside of pointing out new state/interstate mission fields to go to. That is, I haven't had much to say until now.

There are three things on my heart right now.

(1) I want to encourage the brethren who read this blog. I know that I am not "somebody come" as Brother Brooks would say, but I know there are days that I find encouragement in what other brethren are writing and I hope to be a blessing to others as well.

(2) I am noticing the economic collapse of our nation. The focal point of my observation is Detroit. If any city shows the pain that accompanies a shift from a manufacturing to a service economy, it would be Detroit. My heart goes out to those people. Michigan, and many of the Great Lakes states have traditionally voted liberal. Why? Because many don't know the truth. How can we expect them to know the truth if we don't take it to them. Imagine a life where God was a distant being, and where no one shared the Gospel of Jesus Christ with you. Hard to imagine, isn't it?

(3) I am noticing more fervent attacks on our churches, not just individually, but institutionally. Many, if not most, of these attacks are coming from within the church itself. It seems the only way to sell a book in a Christian bookstore these days is to rip the institution of the church and advocate throwing out all of our practices and starting all over with a whole new "revolution." I plan to compose a series of blog posts that will show that those who are in opposition to God's church are also in opposition to God's Word and even God Himself.

May God bless you and may we be blessings to each other as we share our faith and encouragement online.

2 comments:

marlin freeman said...

Bro. Leland, I for one have missid your posts. I am gled to hear that you will be posting more.

JamesCharles said...

One great book concerning the subject of good, solid church work that sold me by its cover (and thrilled me by its content) is Franchising McChurch or something like that. It was by two authors. Great book warning us about not going to the post-modern emergent/organic church, and warning us to stay away from change for the sake of change. It is a couple of guys who visited thousands of churches to see what they felt in each, and found out we need to get back to basic institutionalized churches that love one another, encourage one another, from the elders to youth and youth to elders. A great book.