Thursday, August 13, 2009

How-To Thursday: Arriving at the Field, or Getting Started

Bear in mind that my frame of reference is in state/interstate missions... so the following will not likely apply to a foreign mission field, with the possible exceptions of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and California.

The fanfare of deputation and associational meetings does not last forever. Those who loved you and supported you along the way will eventually help you unload the U-Haul... but then the U-Haul drives away, leaving your entire life in boxes in a house that looked much larger empty. You're there alone (or with your family, if you are married).

Events affect people differently. For me, this time was marked by fear. The moment we were settled into the house, the supporters had returned to East Texas, and there were no more deputation visits-only the work ahead of us, nervousness engulfed my soul. Here, I had spent seven months sharing my call to Brownwood and presenting my plan of action, and now, I had to put action behind those words. The one question that echoed so loudly in my mind that I could hear little else was, "Where do I start?"

"I'll invite people to church." (I have no church).
"I'll talk to my friends." (I don't know anyone here).
"I'll rent a building and hold services." (I have no congregation).

Then, this exchange happens...

(phone rings)
"Hey brother, how many did you have your first Sunday in Brownwood?"
"Five."
"Just your family, huh?"
"Yep."
"Well, don't worry, mission work takes time."

When you arrive at your mission field, you will feel a mixture of emotions. I can't tell you what those emotions will be because all people are different. I will tell you this. Don't fear failure in the first month. Don't be overwhelmed by the enormity of the task at hand. Don't be afraid to start, but don't feel pressured to start the second the U-Haul drives away either.

Feel free to go on to bed and get a good night's sleep that first night. In the morning, if you don't already have to report to a job, feel free to just go into town and take it in. Go to Walmart. Go to the mall. Eat out a couple of meals. Maybe even go to the movies. Put yourself in as many public places as possible over the first few days. This accomplishes a few things.

First, you will begin to get a better feel for the culture of the town. That mall might have seemed like an economic hub during your survey trips, but having spent some time there now, you might notice that it is more of a teen hangout, or a tourist destination than a fishing hole to reach the people of the town. You will find out which establishments the townspeople are passionate about. You will also get a better idea of how they think. And don't think just because you are doing mission work in your home state, or even your home area that you know the culture. You don't. Brownwood and Coleman are only 35 miles apart (spitting distance by West Texas standards), and they are as different as night and day.

The second thing this accomplishes is it breaks the ice for you. You get to relax and enjoy your new life in this new town for a little while. It's okay to do so. You have about three to fifteen years of hard labor ahead of you. Take time and smell the roses.

My approach to this is not unique. In his book, "Gleanings from the Field, or Things I Learned as a First Time Missionary," Jack Spencer, current ABA missionary to Clovis, New Mexico, also advised taking time to acclamate yourself to your new field, and to rest up. I highly recommend "Gleanings" to any prospective missionary. Bro. Spencer shares his experiences in mission work in Maryland, and gives straight forward advice on all the things the new church planting books are too cool to address.

Anyway, back on topic. After a reasonable time of acclamation, get started. I recommend starting by meeting your neighbors and befriending them. (Which is why I also recommend living in town, in a neighborhood or apartment community as opposed to buying a 365 acre ranch). Be open and honest about who you are, and what you are doing, but let it come up naturally. Be a friend. Who knows, you might be meeting your first congregants. From there, continue to make friends and connections, and combine your evangelism approach. This is where having a job comes in handy, but is not a necessity.

There is much debate about street evangelism vs. relationship evangelism vs. servant evangelism. All three have their advantages and disadvantages. Use a comprehensive approach to your field which incorporates all three. Make friends and do relationship evangelism. Go door-to-door and use street evangelism, and if someone needs help, then servant evangelism becomes profitable. And host Bible studies. You need a way to disciple those you evangelize.

If this comes together for you the way it did for me, you'll see a core group emerge in a matter of months, not years. You'll see people being drawn together by the Lord, their common experiences and their friendships. It's a beautiful thing.

Whatever you do on the field, do things the way God leads you to. The conditions on the field and his direction might very well open the door for you to use a completely different approach than I did. However, if you find yourself on the field that first day saying, "Where do I start?" then give this method a try. It worked well for me.

No comments: