Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Is Anyone Going to San Antone


It amazes me that a city like San Antonio, a city with great recreational opportunities, historical culture, fabulous restaurants and a great downtown district, in addition to one of the more unique football stadiums in America, has no NFL franchise. I was hoping the Saints would make a move to the Alamo City after making it a temporary home following Katrina, but the San Antonio Saints just weren't meant to be. Hey, I do have to give props to the Saints for committing themselves to New Orleans and helping with the recovery. If more pro sports teams had their attitude, pro sports would be a whole lot better.

Then, I was hoping the NFL would reward San Antonio with an NFL franchise the way the NBA did with Oklahoma City, after they hosted the New Orleans Hornets. The NBA was willing to move an expansion club into OKC, but then didn't have to once the Seattle Supersonics moved to town.

Look, San Antonio needs an NFL team. There are ample sponsors in the San Antonio area and outlying areas to make it feasible, I believe the city would support their team the way they do the Spurs, and NFL players might just decide they like the area. Ever notice how Spurs' players retire, then stay in San Antonio?

So, I'm launching a new (albeit, futile) campaign to bring the NFL to San Antonio. I'm including my radio audience in this as well. We've got the stadium (Alamodome), we have potential sponsors (Toyota, 3M, Clear Channel, and the usual suspects), we need to come up with a name, colors, and logo. Once we put this package together, we can then begin the process of lobbying the NFL for a franchise. I know, we need to find an owner, and our pleas are more than likely going to be dismissed by the NFL (I bet they won't even read them), but we can still have fun, can't we?

So, what would be a good name for the San Antonio football team?

(By the way, San Antonio doesn't even have Division I college football.)

No comments: