Wednesday, September 24, 2008

See You at the Pole.

I remember being a freshman in high school when I first heard of See You at the Pole, a special event where on a certain day each school year, students gather around the flagpoles at school and pray. My freshman year at Jacksonville High School, many students took part.

Today, at Coleman High School, a 2A high school, 30 kids gathered for prayer, led by the youth minister at First Baptist Church and the pastor of the First United Methodist Church.

1. What is your opinion of See You at the Pole?

2. Would you encourage students to take part in See You at the Pole?

4 comments:

Jonathan Melton said...

If done with other denominations, it's ecumenical. Why couldn't ABA churches coordinate their own events. I don't know how this would set with public schools and religious discrimination, but it's the only way I see that it could be done scripturally.

Leland Acker said...

Problem... the school only has one flag pole.

Jonathan Melton said...

So...try a different day...different location...I just don't think that anything led by or in cooperation with other denominations is Scriptural. This is why we have ATKM. Btw, is this a ministry idea? What is your take on See You At The Pole?

Leland Acker said...

So, you are in opposition of prayer over the PA system at high school football games, at the beginning of commencement ceremonies, and I'm sure you step out of the room if a prayer is led by a non-Baptist minister while attending a funeral.

See You at the Pole is prayer. If my kids want to go and pray with their classmates, I'm fine with that. If the local schools invited me to go in and officiate See You at the Pole events, I would. Why miss the opportunity to be able to connect with kids?