Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mission: Brownwood update

Things have been hectic around the Acker household as we prepare for our move to Brownwood. Here are some highlights.

1. Weekend in Brownwood. Jessica, the kids and I spent last weekend at our new house in Brownwood, getting things moved over and getting familiar with our surroundings. A Sunday morning observation is that most of our neighbors did not go to church. We met one neighbor, and his children, who were walking their dog as we were walking ours. I think this man is a strong prospect.

We also held a family worship service in our new home. We sang praises to God, and my little family makes a pretty good choir, if I say so myself. The kids really got into it, as did Jessica and I.

2. Moving day update. Bro. Charles Swilling, pastor of Rocky Springs MBC (my sponsor) will reserve a 24' UHAUL truck this week. We will load it May 23, and move it May 24. Hopefully, all we'll need to move then will be the washer and dryer, couches and bedding.

3. Future plans. After we get moved May 24, we will take some special family time to recoup from the long transition we have just endured. Since November, we have faced the prospect of finding employment and getting relocated. Getting the job at Wendlee solidified our moving date, as did securing the lease on this house. However, the "limbo" period has taken its toll on my wife and kids. We need this, because it will be the last breather we will be able to take for a while. We have only one year to assemble a solid core group of believers who are committed to becoming a self-supporting, missions-oriented New Testament church.

We will begin holding services in our home June 8, and will launch the Parents of Purpose group shortly thereafter. We plan on holding a Vacation Bible School in our "backyard" (We don't really have a backyard, we have two side yards) sometime in July. Watch these boards for development on those two projects.

The purpose of Parents of Purpose and Backyard Bible School are to engage prospects to disciple and bring into our core group. We can always use volunteers, so if you are interested, call me at (903) 625-1005, or email gracepointembc@aol.com. I think it would be good to be able to hold a public launch the first Sunday in January (New year, new beginning, new church). A lot of evangelism and discipleship has to happen between now and then.

4. Availability. I have been asked to speak at a couple of churches in June. I plan on committing to holding services in my home on Sunday mornings in June, however, I will be available for deputation on Sunday evenings as long as you are within 5 hours of Brownwood. I am also available on Wednesday evenings in June only. I begin my new job in July, rendering Wednesday evening appointment unfeasible.

5. Building program. While Victory Life backed out of the lease agreement and sale contracts, they are still open to selling us the building at $180,000. (Basically, they don't want to committ to anything in writing until they see the color of the money, which is understandable in this day and time.) That being said, I will continue to seek funds for the purchase of the building. Should they sell it before we have the money raised, then I'll be at peace knowing God's will is done. There are two other church properties for sell in Brownwood at this current time. All three are good for new churches with good location, so we'll have options.

The Dec. 1 deadline is no longer in effect, and supporting churches now will be able to take time to observe how God builds the congregation in Brownwood before investing in them. This also allows the new congregation an opportunity to play a role in the acquisition of property. I still maintain, however, that once we get a congregation, if we are able to secure a building and pay for it quickly, it will serve as a testimony that God is working in our church.

So, "The Big Challenge" continues, just not with a Dec. 1 deadline, or a committment in writing. Please send offerings to the Mission: Brownwood building project c/o Rocky Springs MBC, PO Box 1840, Jacksonville, TX 75766.

I know the trend in church planting is toward portability (not having a facility, renting a temporary facility and setting up every week). While I don't mind launching as a portable church, my observation of some of the other church planters in Brownwood is that prolonged portability can actually have a detrimental impact on the church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So would Center, TX be too far for a June appointment?

Leland Acker said...

No, I'll come to Center.