Thursday, April 3, 2008

The further adventures of Leland Acker

Wednesday, my bosses told me to take back some of the extra time I've been putting into my work. So, I jumped in the car with a folder full of resumes and canvassed Brownwood in search of gainful employment. Here's how my day went.

The Goldthwaite Eagle
The Eagle is a weekly paper published in the small town of Goldthwaite, which is approximately 30 miles east of Brownwood. (Goldthwaite is one of the areas I plan to go into after the initial Brownwood mission gets organized.) It turns out, the owners of the Eagle are friends with my current bosses. They and our late owner used to interact through the Texas Press Association and have even swapped equipment on occasion. They said they might use me for free-lance work.

KPSM 99.3
KPSM "The Rock" 99.3 FM is a contemporary christian station in Brownwood. The program director and sales manager were glad to meet me, but the person in charge of hiring was out. After a few minutes of good fellowship, I left my resume and moved on.

Wendlee Broadcasting
"Let's just say you have a job here," the owner of Wendlee (KXYL-FM, KQBZ-FM, KXYL-AM and Kix 1000) said. Still undecided, an exact salary figure and job description. They requested I send them a tape of my work, which I will do today.

KYOX-FM
KYOX "94.3 The Ox" is a Texas Music station out of Comanche, TX (another small town 30 miles away that I hope to expand Mission: Brownwood into.) KYOX has a good signal over Brownwood. The staff and management was friendly, but I'm not sure they really have an opening.

The Brownwood Bulletin is still undecided.

No comments: