Thursday, January 10, 2008

Loneliness, work, and random thoughts.

My column this week in the The Cherokeean Herald has to do with loneliness in Christianity, and life in general. You may read it here. This column runs every week in the Cherokeean Herald, which has a circulation of 4,200. It also runs on the Web site, which had 29,000 hits last month.

Work is stacking up at the Cherokeean. I seem to be gaining a number of hats. Now, in addition to selling ads and reporting the news, I am now putting together the front pages and making sure the paper gets put together. It sounds like a lot of work, but my co-worker, Gloria Jennings, handles most of the mundane work. I get the exciting work of interviewing people, feature and sports photography, writing and designing ad campaigns.

In addition to my newspaper work, I am now doing play-by-play for the Rusk Eagle basketball team on KWRW 97.7 FM, which our newspaper owns. (It came as no suprise, I did it last season.)

Another project that has been handed to me is the promotion of our Web site. Our managing editor wants to know if I can make it profitable. In my opinion, in order to do this, we'll have to drive the hit-count up so that we can charge more on the online ads. Charging subscription fees is not feasible, in my opinion. In order to drive the hit-count up, we'll have to assemble an online product that will keep visitors returning to the site. It will have to be useful, either for entertainment, or for information.

While I develop these ideas, I am running radio commercials for the site on KWRW 97.7 FM. The commercials also promote the newspaper. My goal here is to continue increasing the hit-count while driving up the print edition circulation.

I know what you are thinking... "Bro. Leland, aren't you planning to leave and go to Brownwood?" Yes. But shouldn't I leave my current employer in better shape than when I came to work?

(By the way, I have not informed them of my Brownwood plans... so please don't tell them. I will let them know as soon as a departure date is finalized.)

No comments: