Monday, November 26, 2007

Mission Brownwood Nov. 2007 report

Since I don't anticipate having a deputation appointment Wednesday, I fugured I'd go ahead and file this report early. November has been a month of blessings and anxieties for Jessica and me. We are really eager to get to Brownwood and begin the work there.

Rocky Springs Sponsorship update
The Sunday evening prior to the state meeting, Bro. Charles Swilling, pastor of Rocky Springs MBC, my home church, announced to the church that he would like to have Bro. Marion Reed come to Rocky and explain the responsibilities of being a sponsoring church. He expressed that he would like to see Rocky be my sponsoring church, but he wanted to proceed slowly and know what was expected going into the mission project. This will be Bro. Swilling's first time pastoring a sponsoring church and my first time being a missionary. So, we'll have two "rookies" at mission work working together (Actually, I'll need to find a better way to say that. Bro. Swilling is not a rookie at anything).

Bro. Reed agreed to come to Rocky on Dec. 16. The church will then vote on the issue of sponsorship after the first of the year.

Bro. Swilling also asked me to think about what I'd expect from a sponsoring church. This has bothered me because I have not really thought about what to ask for other than their endorsement, prayer, some financial help and encouragement. I'm really praying about this. I welcome any advice or suggestions on this issue.

Bro. Swilling also said he would also like to see me well supported, and that he would welcome any church with "more reserves" to consider sponsoring me. So, therefore, I am still including a sponsoring church on my list of needs.

Brownwood Employment
I corresponded with my potential employers today to learn that my application is still being funnelled through the proper channels. They are still interested, I am still interested. Please pray for this. Full time employment gets me to the field faster, while being completely supported by my sister churches gives me more ministry time. As Paul would say, "I am in a strait betwixt the two." At the present time, though, I think employment is the better option. More people to meet, more financial stability, quicker arrival time on the field.

On the Road
Jessica and I have been blessed to visit with the 58th Ave. MBC of Amarillo, Walnut St. Baptist Church of Hillsboro and the North Loop MBC of Crockett.

58th Ave. went above and beyond in providing for our travel needs, blessed us with a fine meal, and just blessed us in ways I can not even describe to you. They also gave us a generous offering. 58th Ave. has a dedicated pastor in Bro. Nathan Simmons. They have embarked on a mission project of their own, sponsoring Bro. Daniel Davis as the MBSF director at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX. The WTAMU MBSF is an upstart fellowship, and Bro. Davis really needs your prayers and support. He will do a good job ministering to those students. I strongly recommend supporting his ministry.

I was honored to be invited to share the work in Brownwood with Walnut St. Baptist Church. Bro. Clark invited me during the state meeting and I got to visit with them the Sunday Evening following the state meeting. It was my first experience with powerpoint, and they were very patient with me.

North Loop MBC is a church that has a special place in my heart. My visit to North Loop this past week was the third visit in two years, and it is almost like I am family there. They gave my wife and I a generous love offering and Bro. Dennis Lowery (pastor) invited us to his house for some homemade chili.

Upcoming Deputation Appointments
Dec. 2 - A.M. Service (open)
P.M. Service - Wyndrock MBC, Abilene, TX

Dec. 9 - open

Dec. 16 - open

Dec. 23 - unavailable

Dec. 30 - A.M. Service - Landmark MBC, Floresville, TX

Jan. 6 - A.M. Service - open
P.M. Service - Ebenezer MBC, Henderson, TX

Jan. 13 - A.M. Service - Texas Ave. MBC, Abilene, TX
P.M. Service - open

Jan. 20 - A.M. Service - Memorial MBC, Elkhart, TX
P.M. Service - open

Special Request
Jessica and I have located a home on the edge of Coggin Park in Brownwood, TX. Coggin Park is one of the busiest parks in Brownwood, with families and small children playing and the park also hosts youth soccer practices and possibly games.

The home is almost 2,000 square feet, three bedroom, two bath. The living room looks like it was designed to be a sanctuary. I could see us having worship services there. I will include pictures on the ABANews/snail mail version of this report (I haven't learned to blog pictures yet).

The catch? The asking price is $90,000. I don't have $90,000, so if God wants me to use this home to begin the Brownwood work, He'll have to raise up some supporters to help us purchase this home. The home will be in the church's name, not ours. It will eventually become the parsonage, should the Lord bless us with it. If not, we'll live and work out of an apartment or rent house. Please be in prayer about this.

I know property and building requests are common, I just want to emphasize that our work in Brownwood is not contingent on whether or not we get this house. We just really believe the house would be a great tool. Basically, we'll need an $8,000 down payment and $800/month to finance, if we can't get enough money to pay for it up front.

Needs

#1. Continued prayer.

#2. Financial support to supplement my salary as I try to support a family of five.

#3. Supporting churches. I understand that I don't have a sponsoring church, but I am confident that the Lord will provide one after the first of the year. I will not ask anyone to send one penny to this work until I have a sponsoring church. I am looking for churches to commit to be regular supporters.

#4. Sponsoring church. Rocky Springs is considering sponsorship, but I am interested in talking with any church with a burden for the hill country or West Texas.

Financial report
All in all, $519 was given to us this month from the churches we visited to assist with travel expenses and related cost. Most of which went into our gas tank, or went toward feeding the kids. We thank all the churches for all they have done for us. They are most generous.

1 comment:

David P Smith said...

I gave you some info in an email which I sent to you, but here are
some more things you will want to consider in asking your potential sponsoring church:
1. How much freedom will I have to do what God has called me to do?
2. Is it allright for us to be called a church, or do we call ourseves a mission?
3. Will our members be members at the sending church or at our church/mission?
4. Will we be permitted to observe the LS as a local body?
5. Will I be considered as an employee of the sending church or of the new work?

It would be good, in my opinion, to request certain things:
1. Request freedom and trust to do the work as a church planter starting a church and not a mission, while remaining accountable to the sending church as their church planting missionary.
2. Request freedom to have the LS as often as the new work desires.
3. Request freedom to organize the new work into a church as soon as the Holy Spirit leads, and not on whether you have land, buildings, etc.
4. Request regular visits from the pastor and a sending church (six times a year or more) committee for the purposes of encouragement and outreach involvement.
5. Request freedom to purchase your own home (parsonages are unwise purchases for churches;young missionary families need to be able to purchase their own homes, they don't get cheaper)and be able to receive funds from the churches to do so.
6. Request immediate resources for evangelism since this is what you will need to do at least 50% of your time.

There are many more suggestions. But this will give you plenty to work on and pray on. If you have any questions or doubts about any of these, talk to me. I will be glad to explain.
David P Smith